Sen. Nybo and Rep. Breen partner with local groups for 2nd annual drive to benefit overseas troops
This November, State Senator Chris Nybo (R-Elmhurst) and State Representative Peter Breen (R-Lombard) will partner with the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the local Lilac Post 5815 for their second annual “Support Our Troops” collection drive. Items collected throughout the month of November will be delivered to military personnel serving overseas near or before Christmas.
“Supporting our troops is as easy as buying some of the suggested items the next time you’re in the store, and bringing them to our legislative offices. Your thoughtfulness will mean so much to the men and women who are a long way from home, especially during the holiday season,” Nybo said. “Rep. Breen and I want the brave young men and women who serve in our military—now and in years past—to know how much we appreciate their leadership and their commitment to freedom.”
The Nybo/Breen legislative office at 929 S. Main Street, Suite 105A in Lombard will serve as a drop-off location for items to be donated to U.S. troops. Donations will be accepted from November 1-30 during normal business hours of 9:00 AM until 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
“This local collection drive provides us with a meaningful way to show our deep appreciation for our troops and their dedication to protecting our freedoms,” said Breen. “Our care packages are one small way of honoring and hopefully easing the great sacrifices of these brave men and women.”
The legislators would also like to send care packages specifically to local soldiers from the area (IL Senate District 24 or IL House District 48). Friends and family with loved ones from the area who are currently serving in the military are encouraged to contact the Nybo/Breen office with their names and addresses.
Recommended items to be included in the care packages include:
• Books, magazines, crossword and word search puzzles, coloring books, colored pencils, dominoes, checkers or chess games
• iTunes Gift Cards, headphones/ear buds, DVD movies or television shows, small video games, international calling cards
• Baby wipes, deodorant, Kleenex, lotion, toothpaste/toothbrush, shampoo, soap, female hygiene items, shaving cream, razors
• Beef jerky, powdered drink mix, coffee, granola or protein bars, trail mix, dry snacks, mixed nuts
• Laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, air fresheners
• Footballs, basketballs, soccer balls and frisbees
Because the items will be mailed, aerosol cans/containers, food items that could melt or spoil and fragile items cannot be accepted.
For more information about the collection drive, or to leave contact information for a specific member of the service, call Sen. Nybo’s office at (630) 969-0990 or Rep. Breen’s office at (630) 403-8135.